Tuesday 26 August 2014

LEAVE A LEGACY! : LESSONS TO BE LEARNT FROM DR AMEYO STELLA ADADEVOH.....by Mikkie

DR ADADEVOH : Gone in the line of duty
Sometime last week, I read a tribute to Dr Ameyo Stella Adadevoh by Professor Chudi Anselm Odinkalu that really touched my heart in a deep way. (Read the full tribute Dr Adadevoh was the brave doctor that made sure Mr. Sawyer was quarantined so that the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) won’t spread as rapidly to the general populace. To put it in perspective, First Consultant Hospital, where Mr. Sawyer was admitted is in Obalende: the very heart of Lagos. Imagine if Dr Adadevoh and her team did not demand that Mr. Sawyer stay in the hospital, he would have walked out the hospital as a deadly weapon spreading the EVD to the broader public. The ripple effect would have produced far graver consequences than what we are grappling with now.

Dr Ameyo Stella Adadevoh and her colleagues literally acted as human shield for the whole country. They put their lives at risk by doing this huge service to humanity and indeed the whole country owes them respect. They saved a nation and for this act, they should be honored as national heroes.

As I read the tribute to Dr Adadevoh and the comments that followed, I was just in awe of the kind of human being she was. You could tell that she lived an authentic life – one that genuinely cared for people and made a meaningful impact in the lives she encountered every day. She exhibited a kind of excellence that flowed in everything she did; especially in the way she interacted and dealt with her family, career, and people.   
It made me question what kind of legacy I want to leave in this world. What will people remember me for?

As human being we need to constantly ask these deep questions so that we can intentionally live our lives in such a way that we stay true to ourselves. As women, it is important that we put what is paramount to us in front of our mind. It is very easy to be carried away by the numerous worries of life that we lose focus of what truly matters to us.  Thus, identity matters! Knowing who you are and clearly defining the type of character you want to exhibit is key in leaving a lasting legacy. These days, a lot of things are craving to define who we are: society, family, fear, friends, social media etc. and because we want to play to the gallery, we allow ourselves to be deceived.

To be honest, it is not easy to live an authentic life in this day and age. I mean, must everybody know I failed woefully in my attempt in business or that TDH guy left me hanging dry or I didn’t get that great job that everybody was convinced it was practically mine.  My sister, I know.  It is not easy! We are so used to having this “I-got-it-all-together” mentality that it has clouded our view of life and made us lose sight of traits that really count. Like passion, vision, perseverance, and sacrifice. For real, is it such a bad thing to fail? At least you tried. Or aren’t there other fishes in the river?
My dear, relax! Life is too short to waste. We must strive to make it count. Every day is surely a battle, but victory is certainly within our grasp.

So I ask “what are you going to do TODAY to make your life better and be one step closer to your dreams”?

Dr Ameyo Stella Adadevoh, in my book, is a hero. Even though I never met her, she has touched my life in many ways I cannot possibly express. Just because she chose to truly live! Death may have taken her life too soon, but it can never take away the lasting legacy she left behind: a sacrificial heart that saved a nation! This is what she will be remembered for.

I am reminded to live authentically! To live fully! To live out loud!
Will you?

Miriaku Obioha a.k.a. Mikkie is a contributor for Red Velvet.  Read more from her on her blog http://www.miriakuobioha.blogspot.com/


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this My Mikkie, my Angel in human skin *smiling*.

    You know the odd thing is that were Dr. Adadevoh here she would wonder what all the hype was about. In her mind, she was just 'doing her job'. I read an article in the papers over the weekend that said same and wondered what would happen in Nigeria if we all just 'did our jobs' .

    May we all be the change we pray for Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mikkie dear, from the moment i read this piece i havent stopped thinking of what my life would say to people if were to drop dead today. Dr stella was truly selfless and that is why we all celebrate her today. i can only hope that we all can learn a thing or 2 about being diligent in whatever we find doing. i have also learnt that i dont have to run a country , a huge organisation or be a 'big woman' to make an impact on people's live. life is indeed too short and we should all strive to do the much and little we can to help the world.....thank u again darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one girl. We can only imagine how we would have acted if we had been in her shoes. God be with her family

    ReplyDelete

HOW I KICK THE PERIOD BLOAT - Useful Tips

I just want everything CARBY and SWEET!  I am almost sure I am not the only one who dreads having her period and the bloating that co...