Monday 15 December 2014

THE OLD TELEVISION #AwakenYourLiteraryMind........By Raphael

“He always walked amongst them, watching quietly, unseen, unnoticed,” Amara said, trying to describe Nonso’s sudden uncanny behaviour the last time she saw him. Her body quivered, her voice unsteady and she occasionally used gestures to imprint her words in mind.

The old television was on when she stormed into my room unapologetic, uninvited. Kunfu Panda was playing and I laughed at Pow’s wanton silliness and exaggerated screams, ‘Awesome!’ in the face of danger. Nonso is my brother but it felt like Amara knew him better. Before he travelled to Portharcourt, for greener pasture, he spent most of his time with her. They sometimes cuddled on his bed, whisper to their ears and laugh at their silly jokes. I would excuse myself to the parlour and pout at the HD television hanging on the wall. 

“I dont like this television, it’s too clear and colourful,” I said when dad bought it to replace the old television. He planned to discard the old television but I protested we keep it in our room. I hardly believe anything I saw on the HD television. I preferred the old television, that gave a sharp contrast between a movie and NTA; when movies played on the VCD, the colours were bright but the moment NTA is flipped, the images blurs, and sometimes tiny black dots fill the screen. From tender age I learned to associate poor images to live broadcasts.

Our shared one-room was all Nonso and I had in common; beds placed side-by-side with the old television in-between. Nonso would lie down and face his wall and I would lie down and face mine. The only time we enjoyed flamboyant gist was when Super Eagles played; Nonso would lament how Enyeama punched a ball he was supposed to catch, how Mikel passed the ball to a defender instead of a striker, how Musa sometimes outrun the ball like a lorry without brakes. And when the images on the television blurs, “Oh Lord! What is wrong with this stupid television?” he would scream and smack the television by the side, several times and unsuccessful, most times.

“Let me try.” I would say and tap the television gently by the side. This worked mostly. I concluded it was the television’s subtle way of saying ‘am old, please cuddle me’. Nonso would muse when I did get it right.


I went to the kitchen to get a glass of orange juice for Amara. As I passed the television in the parlour, a female newscaster was serious reading something. The image was spotless. I assumed a Nigerian movie was showing cut-scene news to drive home a point and didn’t bother to pay attention, because of my vendetta for Nollywood’s amateur movies. Amara screamed. I abandoned everything I held, dashed to see what was wrong. “Pictures of Nonso and four others had been flashed on the screen,” she said. I turned to take a look, the television goes off.






Image creditLinktech
x

29 comments:

  1. Voting for Raphael Emecheta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voting for Raphael Emecheta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voting for Raphael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Voting for Raphael

    ReplyDelete
  5. RAPHAEL EMECHETA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emecheta Raphael

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raphael Emecheta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emcheta Raphael

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have my vote Raphael

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neatly written boss, you have my vote Raphael Emecheta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Voting for Raphael nice lines

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cast my vote in Raphael's favour. The cliff-hanger was well placed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote in favour of Anthony Emecheta (gor) .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice one dear...I vote for Raphael Emecheta

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love this. Am voting for Raphael

    ReplyDelete
  16. am voting for Raphael

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome. Awesome. Raphael all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome dude. Raphael's got my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm voting for The Old Television by Raphael Emecheta... The right diction... Proper setting... Didactic in the right manner..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Voting for "The Old Television" by Raphael.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Voting for the ld television by Raphael Emecheta, MILIDIME

    ReplyDelete

HOW I KICK THE PERIOD BLOAT - Useful Tips

I just want everything CARBY and SWEET!  I am almost sure I am not the only one who dreads having her period and the bloating that co...