Monday 15 December 2014

NOT A SICKLED SOUL - #AwakenYourLiteraryMind.........By Yusuf

She always walked amongst them, watching quietly, unseen, unnoticed by her teachers, unnoticed by her classmates, sunk deep in a world of loneliness and silence which was hers alone.

When my sister, Mary, was a child – not too many years from today – she used to think she was the
same as other kids in the playground. She tried to run, jump, shout and clap at all the things other kids ran, jumped, shouted and clapped at. What she didn’t sense was that other kids didn’t make frequent visits to the doctor as she and mummy did. Stomach aches, frequent fevers, swollen legs, deep sores on her feet, the list went on and on and quickly thickened the size of her hospital file and emptied mum’s meager wage. It is only now that she is beginning to understand the meaning of those words – each piercing mummy’s heart as she sat wishing the words could mean something else or at least that dad were alive to share the burden with her – which fell out the doctor’s mouth. “Mary is has sickle cell anemia,” he said rather coldly.



All our lives haven’t been the same since that fateful day. It is said that a problem is half solved when you identify it. I doubt if it applies to Mary’s. We now have a name for what ails her and so she does not have to bear the thoughtless name people called her – Ogbanje - mọ ẹmi buburu! But Mary quickly learned that naming it only changed the way she was stigmatized. Now, the girls wouldn’t hang out with her. They boys wouldn’t speak to her although she heard that they frequently spoke about her and how strange they felt she looked. She was practically on her own.

But …


That isn’t all there is about Mary. Her insulted spirit is the strongest I know. She sparks up every day and makes you wonder what made you better than her. To Mary, today is a gift to enjoy, gyrate, and live. When the world shuts her out – as it often does – she goes deep inside and paints pictures full of love, joy, happiness, and tranquility. She once remarked to me when I asked why she was so upbeat, “I have sickled cells not a sickle soul!” Then it hit me. Don’t we, the “normal” ones, often think something is inherently wrong with the HIV patient, the leprous woman, the boy without sight, and the people we call imbeciles? If their unsolicited conditions can collectively be called sickled cells, by rejecting them aren’t we professing to have sickled souls?







Image Credit-Isetfiretotherain

37 comments:

  1. lovely. Yusuf should win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A masterpiece. Voting for this to win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I vote for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good work yusuf. i vote here

    ReplyDelete
  5. i vote for, "Not a Sickled Soul"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job. I hope you win ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this. I vote for not a sickled soul

    ReplyDelete
  8. voting for yusuf leinge and his article

    ReplyDelete
  9. i vote here for yusuf

    ReplyDelete
  10. voting for yusuf leinge

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote for this article

    ReplyDelete
  12. voting for this article, not a sicked soul

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to vote for not a sickeled soul

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice article. nice competition. i vote for yusuf leinge

    ReplyDelete
  15. I vote for yusuf!!! can i vote more than once? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this article is the bomb! I vote for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We need to think soberly concerning these issues.

    ReplyDelete
  18. a nice piece. voting for it to win

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am voting yusuf and his article to win

    ReplyDelete
  20. I an joining my sisters to vote for this lovely article

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I vote for yusuf leinge's article

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think this article should win. i vote for it

    ReplyDelete
  24. I vote for not a sickled soul to win this

    ReplyDelete
  25. I vote for not a sickled soul to win

    ReplyDelete
  26. I vote for this article

    ReplyDelete
  27. I vote for this article

    ReplyDelete
  28. I vote for this article on not a sickled soul

    ReplyDelete
  29. I vote for yusuf's not a sickled soul

    ReplyDelete
  30. I vote for this article

    ReplyDelete
  31. I vote for Yusuf Leinges article

    ReplyDelete
  32. My vote is for this article

    ReplyDelete
  33. I vote this article

    ReplyDelete
  34. I vote for yusufs article

    ReplyDelete
  35. I vote for this article

    ReplyDelete
  36. I vote for this article. good job.

    ReplyDelete

HOW I KICK THE PERIOD BLOAT - Useful Tips

I just want everything CARBY and SWEET!  I am almost sure I am not the only one who dreads having her period and the bloating that co...